Sunday, October 25, 2015

Project Update #5

I've decided to make "Playing Starbucks" a performance art piece. I will record some acoustic guitar music for gallery spaces but the opening will be myself performing live with an acoustic guitar. I may or may not have some nature sounds playing in the background for that "earthy vibe" but the songs will be improvised on the spot. They will be about love, peace, caring, sharing, world problems, and etcetera positive messages that Starbucks promotes. I will have the persona of being a shy musician, akin to someone's first open-mic night, and having some banter about how great people are and how all we need is love.

The MIDI keyboard will have to be controlled by people in the audience and I plan on promoting it as a sort of drum circle crowd participation event. I have all the phrases written out and I'm just trying to find people to record them. The coffee shop sound effects are still pretty lucrative so I have have to sit inside one and record them myself but the search continues. I'm also thinking that I can record people talking in a real Starbucks and have it play back during my performance as added background noise. It's sort of a sonic fusion of how difficult it can be to hear things sometimes and people don't pay attention to performers anyways regardless of the incessant need to tell people how much people love and support music.

I'm thinking of my setup as being surrounded by Starbucks trash specifically from trash cans and not recycling bins to show how hypocritical people are when it comes to caring about the earth. I'd also like to have tables and chairs for the audience and a stool for myself to play on. I'm not sure whether playing through an amp would be beneficial or not but I'm open to amplification. I can provide my own as well.

Jean-Paul and I still have yet to converse about finding a time to meet to help me troubleshoot my MIDI keyboard problems so I'm still waiting to hear back about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment